National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF in the classroom & Role Maps

Aaron Kohring akohring at utk.edu
Tue Jan 10 16:13:06 EST 2006

Marie,

Another of your questions refers to the Role Maps. For me, I'd try to keep
it simple by narrowing the focus.

For example, say you have a classroom where the students' primary focus is
to find a job.
As a class, we have been looking at the Worker Role Map
(http://eff.cls.utk.edu/fundamentals/role_map_worker.htm).

We've already talked about the knowledge and skills they have and what they
need to work on. Maybe we've decided that one important area to address is
the Broad Area of Responsibility: Work With Others and a Key Activity:
Communicate with Others Inside and Outside the Organization.

Students have identified Communication Skills as an area to work on. For
this lesson, we choose the Listen Actively standard as our focus. These
students have done role plays. They brainstorm some workplace
scenarios. You choose a scenario as a class. Then looking at the Listen
Actively standard and the scenario, we want to develop a simple rubric
check-off to assess our role play. How well did we Listen Actively during
the role play: Well Done, Sometimes, Need to Work on.
What evidence will we look for:
-You focused your attention on the person speaking
- You asked questions when you didn't understand
- You did not interrupt the speaker
- You looked directly at the person speaking
- Your facial expression and posture showed you were paying attention
- You thought about what the speaker said and compared it to what you
already know

Then ask, does our rubric adequately address the standard we are focusing
on for this role play.
The students could break into groups to write dialog for the role
play. Each group could act out their role play while the other groups
assess their performance. Often there is great dialogue that comes out of
this interaction, too.

Aaron

At 03:01 PM 1/10/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi everyone,

>I m wondering if one of our guests (or anyone who works with EFF!) can

>describe how to use EFF to develop an assessment for the classroom. Maybe

>this is a lot to ask, but if you can walk us through an example of

>assessing Read With Understanding or Use Math to Solve Problems for

>example, that would be great (but an example using any standard will do!).

>Also, how do you assess some of the Lifelong Learning and Interpersonal

>Skills? Some of the Broad Areas of Responsibility and Key Activities in

>the Role Maps (http://eff.cls.utk.edu/fundamentals/eff_roles.htm) are

>pretty abstract and the concepts are large can someone comment on this?

>Thanks,

>marie

>Assessment Discussion List Moderator

Aaron Kohring
Coordinator, LINCS Literacy & Learning Disabilities Special Collection
(http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/)
Moderator, National Institute for Literacy's Content Standards Discussion
List (http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Contentstandards)
Coordinator, Equipped for the Future Websites (http://eff.cls.utk.edu/)

Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee
EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
Phone:(865) 974-4109 main
(865) 974-4258 direct
Fax: (865) 974-3857
e-mail: akohring at utk.edu