National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 476] FW: [ContentStandards 246] Re: Teaching beyond the GED?

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Sat Sep 2 16:55:01 EDT 2006

Colleagues,
I am forwarding an excerpt from the discussion that was held last week
on the Content Standards Discussion List. The context of this
discussion was to examine the CASAS basic skills content standards.
Toward the end of this discussion, some attention was turned toward the
GED and I have posted below 3 emails, beginning with Ajit's email at the
bottom. Ajit discusses the relationship between the NRS and the CASAS
standards, noting that: "the GED test which is a goal/outcome for many
learners is attainable to those functioning at lower NRS levels i.e. the
ABE High Intermediate and the Low Adult Secondary levels. Many of these
learners squeak through the GED with minimal pass scores but then face
challenges with postsecondary entrance/success. I would anticipate that
students with higher abilities (i.e. the High Adult Secondary level -
CASAS scale 246 and higher) are even better prepared to enter/succeed in
postsecondary situations."

Donna's and Aaron's subsequent remarks and questions raise important
issues for us, and I am extremely interested in hearing your thoughts
and responses (and further questions).

The next post that I will forward is a response by David Rosen in which
he suggests that there are mainly 3 reasons why students pursue a GED,
and that programs should strive to serve all 3 of these purposes. Look
for this next post, and please let us know what your comments are. What
do you think about this? Do you find yourself or your program in this
situation? Do you feel that structures such as the one David proposes
would address some of the challenges that we face and that have been
raised by the comments Ajit and Donna have made? What are your
thoughts?

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

***********

Donna,

You raise some interesting points about the GED and whether the focus of
instruction and assessment should go beyond preparation for the GED. It
sounds like you believe that metacognitive skills -
reasoning/thinking/analyzing skills- are also very important. I know
there is some level of tension in the field when you have learners
and/or programs stressing achievement of the GED in as short a time as
possible as the ultimate goal vs. "preparing the adult learner for
today's economy" as you have suggested. What do others think about
this? What is our role as instructors?

Aaron

_____