National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 358] LD and math

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Mon Jun 19 08:42:44 EDT 2006

Hi, I have one for Mrs. Manley:

My student has a learning disability with math. He is in
his thirties, made 500's on all his GED tests except
writing which was a 420. HE Passed. But he cannot get
passed 400 on math. He does not respond with logical
methods when doing problems. He cannot make change so he
cannot pass a math test for employment either. This is
sad. This has been going on for two years.

I have started giving him worksheets with the answers and
he has to set it up and find how I got it. Do you think
this reversal will help him? what more can I do??? He and
I are both frustrated./ What seems so easy to me is
impossible for him. What he know yesterday he cannot do
today.

I teach at Halifax Community College (NC) FT and at SVCC
in Emporia (VA) PT.

Brenda Cousins