National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 290] Re: (no subject)

elohimsgirl at adelphia.net elohimsgirl at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 6 05:59:17 EDT 2006

--
We do not have such in Vermont, but are having discussions around the 'certification' issue. I will be happy to share as we move forward from discussion.

---- "Howard L. Dooley wrote:

=============
Hi, everyone. I hope everyone is well, and enjoying spring -- though
here, today in Woonsocket RI it's snowing if you can believe it...

I am looking for information on adult basic skills certifications,
particularly those issued by a state-level agency or a consortium. A
certification that is recognized as valid and useful by programs,
colleges, providers, businesses across your state. Does your state have
a process for recognizing skill attainment before a secondary credential
is awarded? Is it considering one? If so, what standards are
included? What levels of performance are recognized? What assessements
are being used?

If your state doesn't have such certifications, do you think it would be
valuable to have them? If so, I have the same questions as above. RI
is considering if and what certifications would benefit our learners as
they move from our adult ed programs into their next-steps--work,
college, training, citizenship, and so on. We'd appreciate your
guidance, ( and the opportunity to beg, borrow, steal or buy the best
from the best....)

Thanks for the assist!

Howard D.
Project RIRAL