National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] Legitimacy of alternative tools

Eugenio Longoria Sáenz ezl109 at psu.edu
Fri Feb 3 09:47:18 EST 2006

I do not really agree with either statement.

I agree that the first statement is not addressing outcomes and that
standardization is about input. However, I disagree with the words “equal
opportunity” in the second statement.

Educational inequality and the achievement gap are very real things.
Regardless of standardization of input, there is still the issue of equal
opportunity which translates to access to the same resources, qualified
teachers, adequate learning environments, supportive social structures
(family, friends, work, etc.).

It is not about the standard, it is about all the other stuff in society
that we have not taken care of. Not too long ago all people were given the
right to vote, but the trick was that they had to prove they could read and
write, and not to long before that they had to be property owners (I hope
you know where I am going with this). Well, we have not gotten rid of the
vote because this is fundamentally important in a democratic society, but we
have fought to equalize and in some cases eliminate some barriers to the
right to vote completely. Standards are not the problem; we should not have
to get rid of them. It is the inequality and the prejudices motivated by
race, economics, and social position that continue to be a problem.

I guess what I am saying is that our fight against the standard is
misdirected. We should fighting to eliminate those things that are keeping
many from meeting the standards.

I hope I made some sense, I tend not to many times.

Eu-

_____