National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF Discussion Begins Today!

Linda Taylor ltaylor at casas.org
Tue Jan 10 17:47:20 EST 2006

I and my colleagues at CASAS find this discussion quite interesting. We want
to take the opportunity to respond to clarify and comment on some of the
statements that have been made.

CASAS began in the 1980s as a competency-based assessment system assessing
reading comprehension, listening comprehension and applied mathematics in
functional adult contexts related to the family, the community and the
workplace. Over a 25-year period, the CASAS system has evolved to include
and reflect recent cognitive science research and theory. This research is
reflected in the development of CASAS performance assessments in writing,
speaking and developmental skills which use rubrics to evaluate both the
underlying knowledge, skills and abilities and competencies. It is also
reflected in an additional component in the CASAS system, the CASAS Content
Standards.

CASAS assessments, like EFF, measure both what someone knows and is able to
do. The underlying knowledge, skills and strategies are embedded in each
performance task and test item, and are spelled out in the CASAS Content
Standards. These new Content Standards directly address the manner in which
knowledge, skills and abilities are applied to accomplishing a task. They
provide a framework to understand the cognitive complexity within each
performance task and test item, and they allow teachers and students to gain
a fuller understanding of the underlying basic skills.

We would further suggest that, like EFF, CASAS assessments provide a
"purposeful application of an integrated skill process in performing
increasingly more challenging tasks" through the use of competencies and
content standards, as well as rubrics for performance assessments. The
competencies and content standards can be assessed over a broad spectrum of
instructional levels so programs can teach and measure progress from
beginning literacy through high school completion. In fact, the same
competency can be targeted to one or more instructional levels. In addition,
the range of contexts for CASAS standardized assessments is very wide, with
separate test series focusing on life skills, employability, and workplace
settings.

The new CASAS Life and Work Reading series was developed based on both
competencies and content standards, and each item is coded in both ways.
CASAS Content Standards are currently available for Reading and Listening,
and will soon be available in all skill areas.

We would also like to refer readers to the CA Dept. of Education sponsored
EL Civics website developed by CASAS, a rich resource that exemplifies an
approach to integrating underlying language and literacy objectives with
competency and performance objectives in the area of EL Civics instruction.
This El Civics website also includes performance assessment plans for
classroom-based assessment, and information about it can be found in an
article on the CASAS website at
http://www.casas.org/Online_Quarterlies/Index_fall04.cfm?selected_id=1400
<http://www.casas.org/Online_Quarterlies/Index_fall04.cfm?selected_id=1400&w
target=body#2> &wtarget=body#2.

Linda Taylor, Director of Assessment Development, CASAS

_____