National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF Discussion Begins Today!

Regie Stites regie.stites at sri.com
Mon Jan 9 18:50:15 EST 2006

Marie and all,
Thanks for invitation to participate in this discussion. I have some
initial thoughts in response to your question about the complexity of
EFF in comparison to competencies. I want to ponder a bit more before
responding to the second part your question about how EFF is different
from other standards? (Thanks to my EFF colleagues Aaron Kohring and
Peggy McGuire for comments and suggestions on an earlier draft of this.
I'm sure they will have more of their own thoughts to add as the
discussion continues).

The EFF Standards are grounded in different conceptualizations of adult
performance and adult learning than competency-based education (CBE).
EFF is based on an understanding of expertise (high-level human
performance) that comes out of cognitive science research and theory
developed in the late 1970s and elaborated in the 1980s and 1990s. CBE
is based on a somewhat different (and earlier) model of human
performance that stems from cognitive psychology and
industrial/organizational psychology research and theory from the
1960s. The CBE model is fairly simple. It assumes that human
performance can be understood as the ability to accomplish tasks. It is
basically focused on the question "What should people be able to do?"
Researchers studied human performance in various contexts and analyzed
the tasks that people performed in those contexts. Through large-scale
surveys (such as the Adult Performance Level study - APL) tasks were
identified and through task analysis tasks were placed in a hierarchy
from simple to complex. This is the basis for the scaled lists of CASAS
competencies that are the foundation for CASAS tests. Items on CASAS
tests are designed to simulate as closely as possible, the tasks that
people perform in work and life. Through careful design of test items
and analysis of test results (using Item Response Theory - IRT), CASAS
has been able to provide a clear picture of the relative difficulty of
each item (test question) used in the CASAS tests.

EFF's model of human performance goes several steps beyond this analysis
of the relative difficulty of tasks. EFF focuses on the question "What
should people know and be able to do?" To address this question EFF
researchers developed descriptions of the underlying knowledge, skills,
and strategies, as well as levels of fluency (ease) and independence
that adults use as they apply each EFF Standard (each Standard defined
as a purposeful application of an integrate skill process) in performing
increasingly more challenging tasks. Looking at more of the
cognitively complexity involved in using skills like Reading With
Understanding and Conveying Ideas in Writing is what makes the EFF model
appear more complicated than CBE and CASAS competencies model. This
complexity has the advantage of providing more detailed guidance for
learning, instruction, and assessment. In a competency-based approach,
the question of how someone is able to accomplish a task is left open.
The manner in which knowledge, skills, and abilities are applied to
accomplishing a task is not addressed directly. By contrast, cognitive
science approaches (such as that guiding EFF) let us lift the lid of the
black box of human performance to better understand (and teach and
assess) the knowledge, skills, and strategies that adult learners need
to be successful in performing a wide range of tasks in a wide range of
contexts.

Regie Stites
SRI International