National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 417] Re: FW: [SpecialTopics 164] Re: Keeping students' eyeson the prize

Pauline Mcnaughton pmcnaughton at language.ca
Thu Jul 20 14:22:25 EDT 2006

I attended a workshop on the European Language Portfolio, based on the
Common European Framework. It has really excited me about the possibilities
of a standardized, widely recognized portfolio model. I think this
portfolio model has a lot to offer in terms of adult ESL learners managing
and taking charge of their learning progress.

A standardized portfolio model such as the ELP moves beyond standardized
testing which can at best provide only a snapshot of general language
proficiency at key points in time. I think it's essential to move beyond
standardized assessment tools and focus on the documentation of specific
language competencies relevant to specific learner goals and objectives. A
standardized portfolio tool, perhaps initiated in an adult ESL classroom,
which goes with the learner from class to class, program to program and even
to the workplace - would provide a much more detailed self-assessment. In
the ESL classroom it would inform the development of individualized learning
plans and encourage learner autonomy and self-direction both in and out of
the classroom. Quoting from some of the research done on the ELP, it could
provide "an important interface between language learning, teaching and
assessment" and achieve these "invisible learning outcomes:
- commitment to and ownership of one's language learning:
- tolerance of ambiguity and uncertainty in communicative situations and
learning
- willingness to take risks in order to cope with communicative tasks
- learning skills and strategies necessary for continuous, independent
language learning
- reflective basic orientation to language learning, with abilities for
self-assessment of language competence

Pauline McNaughton
Executive Director / Directrice executive
Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks/Centre des niveaux de competence
linguistique canadiens
200 Elgin Street, Suite 803 / 200 rue Elgin, piece 803
Ottawa, ON K2P 1L5
T (613) 230-7729 F (613) 230-9305
pmcnaughton at language.ca
< http://www.language.ca/>

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.

Le present message n'est destine qu'a la personne ou l'organisme auquel il
est adresse et peut contenir de l'information confidentielle, personnelle ou
privilegiee. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire de ce message,
informez-nous immediatement. Il est interdit de copier, diffuser ou engager
des poursuites fondees sur son contenu. Si vous avez recu ce communique par
erreur, ou une reponse subsequente, veuillez le supprimer ou le detruire.