Research Menu

Re: Added is_context_configurable function

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:19:15 -0500

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 17:10, Colin Walters wrote:
> I've said this before, but I don't like the idea of having to edit
> file_contexts whenever I want to change the labels. I feel that the
> on-disk version should be canonical, and the file_contexts only used for
> system initialization.

That is also my view. However, if people are going to run setfiles or restorecon at runtime to check or set contexts (which is current practice in Fedora), then we do need a way to distinguish legitimate customizations from what are essentially bugs in the policy (e.g. lack of a file type transition rule) or applications (e.g. failure to preserve or set context on a file where file type transition rules are insufficient). The file contexts configuration seemed like a reasonable way to capture that distinction to me. Two questions: 1) Is it sufficient to identify legitimate customizations based solely on the TE type of the file? If not, what other information should be taken into account, irrespective of whether this is done via file_contexts or via a different config file? 2) Is it feasible for the policy writer to identify all such TE types a priori in the policy without covering such a large set as to make setfiles/restorecon completely useless by default? If not, what mechanism will be provided to allow users/admins to easily mark additional types without conflicting with future policy updates?

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency