[NIFL-FAMILY:1117] research

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 10:08:30 EDT

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1117] research

Colleagues on the NLA, family and women lit. lists,

Jon Lee, moderator of the NILF family list, shared this article this
morning: An Op-Ed by Orlando Patterson in this past weekend's NY
Times discusses the lamentable impact that the focus on "hard
science" has had on the field of sociology.  It is extremely relevant
to our discussion about what constitutes "valid research."  The
article can be read online at
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/19/opinion/19PATT.html.

His post prompts me to return to the question I raised yesterday
about what constitutes research, and, by extension, what constitutes
learning itself?  Isn't the point of research, after all, to inform
action? practice?  There's great buzz at present about rigor,
scientific evidence, and yet have we clearly delineated what this all
means -- not only to those researchers who jump into and out of
classrooms to observe, track, record, but more importantly to those
people -  learners and teachers - whose work occurs in those
classrooms day in and day out?

As a colleauge pointed out to me, " ... even in this type of lists,
where one can expect to find issues and things not totally
subordinated to white / male / scientific cannons - [one finds]
unnecessary and offensive reactions.. "  I'd contend that these
reactions offend because they disappear, disrespect, or plain old
ignore -- out of ignorance [in its purest form of "not knowing"] or
disdain - bodies of knowledge based on very rigorous study.  For
example, the research I  cited from Klaudia Rivera grew from years of
participant observation,  coupled with scholarly analysis, and built
on the known and  rigorously analyzed experiences of participants in
that program.  I
am not suggesting here a spitting match between /among schools of
research, but I am asking us to consider who makes knowledge, whose
knowledges are valued, validated (and funded) and to consider how we
as a field obtain utilize that knowledge?  Finally, are we - working
in intergenerational, adult and women-centered programs --  aware of
what "scientific" research has shown in terms of women's ways of
knowing, temperament and ability?

[and to my NLA colleagues I suggest that this has everything to do with policy]

Janet Isserlis