[NIFL-FAMILY:1022] Re: Parents as first teachers (long)

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 13:36:38 EDT

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:36:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1022] Re: Parents as first teachers (long)

Tracie,

You are your child's first teacher.  I wish I could help in some way.  The
fact is that a school is a whole community itself.  I got to know the parents
of "my" kids best when I went to their homes for regular conferences.  At my
school we had parent conferences twice a year.  When I got my master's degree
I learned about home visits, and when I went back to the classroom I gave
parents the option of having a conference at their home in the evening.  It
was a wonderful innovation, and some families took me up on this.

The teacher will teach better if she sees the home environment, I
believe--it's your place, and she has to be a guest.  I am thinking that some
of your parents could get together and invite one or more teachers home for a
potluck.  Don't make it big or it will loose its impact.  Keep it focused on
specific questions and this will help the conversation along.  Or invite
teacher(s) for coffee, that might be easier than juggling plates.  It would
be of great benefit for your children's experience in school.  Each time I
did this I learned about parents' inner fears about their children's school
experience, and this helped me a lot in the classroom to work more
effectively with the children.  I visited one family at a time.

Andrea