[NIFL-FAMILY:776] US Dept. of Ed.'s Strategic Plan 2002 - 2007

From: ChloeMizoo@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 16:50:30 EST

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:50:30 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: ChloeMizoo@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:776] US Dept. of Ed.'s Strategic Plan 2002 - 2007

Hi all,

I apologize for the short notice on this. The US Department of Education's
Strategic Plan 2002 - 2007 is on their web site for review and comments: <A HREF="http://www.ed.gov/pubs/stratplan2002-07/index.html">
www.ed.gov/pubs/stratplan2002-07/index.html</A>. The Department of Education says
this plan will lead a national campaign to ensure that every child is reading
at grade level by third grade. Interestingly, they think they can do that
without parent involvement in the schools or parent involvement in their
children's education.

As all of us on this listserv know, the family is where the cycle of learning
begins and where the attitudes of parents about learning become the
educational values of the children. We need systems where well-prepared
parents can support the education of their children. We know there is a
direct relationship between parents' educational achievement and their
children's literacy skills and we know that higher student achievement
results from increased parent involvement in their education. In my opinion,
it is a serious flaw that DOE's strategic plan does not include a meaningful
goal to utilize family literacy as a model or to increase parent involvement
in the schools and in their children's education.

There is not much time left to comment on this, but it's certainly might be
worth your while to look at the plan and express concerns if you have them.
The comment period ends 2/21.  E-mail your suggestions for improvements or
changes to <A HREF="mailto:strategic_plan@ed.gov">strategic_plan@ed.gov</A>.

Chloe Fessler
Montana Family Literacy Initiative Project