[NIFL-FAMILY:719] Re: Parenting ed training?

From: Sulander, Chris (chris.sulander@santafe.cc.fl.us)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 13:21:44 EST

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:21:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sulander, Chris" <chris.sulander@santafe.cc.fl.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:719] Re: Parenting ed training?

How does one obtain the NCFL Answer Book?

>===== Original Message From nifl-family@nifl.gov =====
>Colleen, Just a few ideas regarding parent education...
>First, I highly recommend the NCFL Answer Book....I run three family lit
sites and each site has a copy that is well used by staff in planning.
>Next you will find as you start working with parents that they will lead you
to topics....i.e. we recently spent a session discussing how to use coupons,
various store ads, etc. to be able to economically buy food for their
families.   We also invite speakers to discuss topics i.e. how to apply for
FHA loans to buy a home, interviewing and other work topics.....In other words
although topics may not always be directly about parenting (i.e discipline)
but still apply to family issues of providing nutrition, budgeting, obtaining
shelter, and providing for their families. Adults are increasing their
knowledge base while obtaining information to assist their families. My adult
education teachers really facilitate this area of the program by leading
discussions, recommending topics, and assisting  in locating resources. The
students, adult ed teacher and child ed teacher work together to determine
topic areas.   We also utilize various videos for discussion. Again NCFL has
some e!
>xcellent resources as do many other suppliers. My teachers have been viewing
some products from Educational Productions that appear to be very good.
Materials are of course costly, so check with your partners and other service
agencies in your area and see what you can share/borrow and what they have
found effective (and not) so that your dollars are spent wisely.  i.e. our
Early Childhood Alliance team was able to porivde me some videos in Spanish
for my hispanic parents. Your challenge may be to develop the relationships
with other agencies to utilize the resources the community has to offer but I
assure you that the benifits to our families of colloborating with the other
providers is well worth the time involved.
>Now for the NCFL plug......I highly recommend their training programs!!  I
was new to this arena last year and found that the Implementing a FL Program
and especially the Summer Institute provided a wealth of information and
contacts that have been a great asset. My teachers will all attend!!!  One
just returned and is very excited about her experiences.  She has returned
re-energized and ready to share all that she has learned with her students.
>My last and perhaps most important recommendation is....Keep your eyes, ears,
and mind open to what the families are telling you through words and actions
that they need/want. Then keep your eyes, ears, and mind open to various
resource avenues to meet their needs. There is no magic curriculmn that will
answer all their problems but with some creativity on your and your staff's
part you will find ways to have lasting effects on them and their children.
Good luck with your program.