[NIFL-FAMILY:606] TechnologyPACT activities

From: Bonnie Odiorne (bodiorne@c4k.org)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:36:15 EST

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:36:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Bonnie Odiorne" <bodiorne@c4k.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:606] TechnologyPACT activities

------=_NextPart_000_00E6_01C19A9C.C2F38740

I've been following this discussion with interest. I'm not a certified
primary or secondary teacher, but have taught at the university level, =
and
am certified in Adult Basic Skills education and ESL. My beginning =
Family
Literacy work was with Literacy Volunteers programs at the city library =
in
conjunction with children's programming, and with various human services
agencies. These were largely literacy- and reading readiness-based, and
included such "generic" activities, in addition to wordless picture book
activities mentioned above (we liked "The Snowman" a lot), book making,
number, vocabulary and picture books, and low-text illustrated books. We
introduced previewing books, reading to/with children strategies, =
generating
stories from doodles transformed into pictures, and everyday activities
reading and writing modeling in the home.
    I'm now involved in several programs which incorporate technology =
into
basic skills education, employability strategies; though only one is
explicitly funded as a Family Literacy program under WIA, all programs =
have
incorporated parent issues and suggested parent/child activities at home =
and
in the classroom. In our school-based program we have relatively little
contact with teachers, since participants come from many city schools, =
but
we do have the full cooperation of the principal and the Family Resource
Center. We'd love to have suggestions as to how to better link with =
teachers
and involve what parents and children have learned in PACT in classroom
activities.
    We have continued with many of the activities listed above, but =
realized
that with school-aged programs, the typical "Family Literacy" curricula =
were
inadequate, and bringing technology into the mix risked taking the focus
away from children's school achievement and parent literacy =
modeling.Just
empowering parents with technology instruction so they can teach their
children computer skills (rather than vice versa) is extremely =
empowering,
and reinforces the model of parent as teacher. Even working with games
provides computer comfort as well as parent/child problem solving, and =
we
see the parents themselves developing, with guidance, the =
prepare/act/review
strategy. Project learning, such as a wall display or book which might
incorporate web searches, downloading clip art or images, computer word
graphics and layout, word processing et. al. have been particularly
successful. Themes or topics are largely parent-generated and flow =
naturally
from issues that arise in parent instruction, in PACT discussions
(V.E.N.T.ing: Vehicle for Education, Nurturing, and Training), and in =
life
crisis situations.
This is a long enough post. Thanks for listening.

Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D.
WisdomWays, Program Facilitation
Computers 4 Kids, Waterbury, CT
bodiorne@erols.com
bodiorne@c4k.org

------=_NextPart_000_00E6_01C19A9C.C2F38740

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma color=3D#800080 size=3D4><FONT face=3D"Times =
New Roman"=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D3>I've been following this discussion with =
interest. I'm not=20
a certified<BR>primary or secondary teacher, but have taught at the =
university=20
level, and<BR>am certified in Adult Basic Skills education and ESL. My =
beginning=20
Family<BR>Literacy work was with Literacy Volunteers programs at the =
city=20
library in<BR>conjunction with children's programming, and with various =
human=20
services<BR>agencies. These were largely literacy- and reading =
readiness-based,=20
and<BR>included such "generic" activities, in addition to wordless =
picture=20
book<BR>activities mentioned above (we liked "The Snowman" a lot), book=20
making,<BR>number, vocabulary and picture books, and low-text =
illustrated books.=20
We<BR>introduced previewing books, reading to/with children strategies,=20
generating<BR>stories from doodles transformed into pictures, and =
everyday=20
activities<BR>reading and writing modeling in the =
home.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
I'm now involved in several programs which incorporate technology =
into<BR>basic=20
skills education, employability strategies; though only one =
is<BR>explicitly=20
funded as a Family Literacy program under WIA, all programs =
have<BR>incorporated=20
parent issues and suggested parent/child activities at home and<BR>in =
the=20
classroom. In our school-based program we have relatively =
little<BR>contact with=20
teachers, since participants come from many city schools, but<BR>we do =
have the=20
full cooperation of the principal and the Family Resource<BR>Center. =
We'd love=20
to have suggestions as to how to better link with teachers<BR>and =
involve what=20
parents and children have learned in PACT in=20
classroom<BR>activities.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We have continued with =
many of=20
the activities listed above, but realized<BR>that with school-aged =
programs, the=20
typical "Family Literacy" curricula were<BR>inadequate, and bringing =
technology=20
into the mix risked taking the focus<BR>away from children's school =
achievement=20
and parent literacy modeling.Just<BR>empowering parents with technology=20
instruction so they can teach their<BR>children computer skills (rather =
than=20
vice versa) is extremely empowering,<BR>and reinforces the model of =
parent as=20
teacher. Even working with games<BR>provides computer comfort as well as =

parent/child problem solving, and we<BR>see the parents themselves =
developing,=20
with guidance, the prepare/act/review<BR>strategy. Project learning, =
such as a=20
wall display or book which might<BR>incorporate web searches, =
downloading clip=20
art or images, computer word<BR>graphics and layout, word processing et. =
al.=20
have been particularly<BR>successful. Themes or topics are largely=20
parent-generated and flow naturally<BR>from issues that arise in parent=20
instruction, in PACT discussions<BR>(V.E.N.T.ing: Vehicle for Education, =

Nurturing, and Training), and in life<BR>crisis situations.<BR>This is a =
long=20
enough post. Thanks for listening.<BR></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma color=3D#800080 size=3D4>Bonnie Odiorne, =
Ph.D.<BR>WisdomWays,=20
Program Facilitation<BR>Computers 4 Kids, Waterbury, CT<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:bodiorne@erols.com">bodiorne@erols.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:bodiorne@c4k.org">bodiorne@c4k.org</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma color=3D#800080 =
size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E6_01C19A9C.C2F38740--