[NIFL-FAMILY:575] Re: Opening remarks for this week's discussion

From: Jane Meyer (meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 09:07:33 EST

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:07:33 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jane Meyer <meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:575] Re: Opening remarks for this week's discussion

Our Canton, Ohio Even Start program is located inside 2 elementary schools and
we serve children in K - 5.  This year we redesigned the program to have what we
call a children's enrichment teacher for each school paid by Even Start funds.
These teachers work with the classroom teachers of Even Start students to enrich
services for Even Start children.  Sometimes they work with students before or
after school or in pull out, but usually they go right into the classrooms and
work along side the classroom teachers.  They also take the Even Start parents
to visit their children's classrooms and have a brief and debrief before and
after the visit. We do PACT in our Even Start classroom after school 2 days a
week.  The children join their parents to work on our computers, help each other
with homework, or play learning games.  When we do our team planning every
classroom teacher that has an Even Start child can not plan with us, but the
children's enrichment teachers do and since they are in constant contact with
the classroom teachers and in and out of the classrooms daily they help
integrate the components by suggesting parenting topics and appropriate learning
activities for PACT based on what is happening in the children's classrooms.
This works well for us.
Jane Meyer
Canton, Ohio
meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org