[NIFL-FAMILY:1465] Re: HELP!!!--Motivating young

From: MWPotts2001@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 10:39:15 EST

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:39:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: MWPotts2001@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1465] Re: HELP!!!--Motivating young

Tamika,

You ask for a definition of family literacy.

There are many definitions of family literacy.  For the more  official ones,
you can access the National Center for Family Literacy Web site or the Even
Start Web site and read them.

However, you can come up with a satisfying definition yourself, if you think
about your own family and ask yourself these questions--How did I get to be
literate?  What made me the thinker, the reader and writer, the
problem-solver and decision maker that I am today?  What about my brother?
Did his journey to literacy differ from mine?  Every family lays its own path
to literacy, and some families develop a sophisticated road map.  Others do
not, but depend upon the system to develop a plan for them.  I would be
interested in the definition that you originate from your history.

Now family literacy PROGRAMS are another thing.  Sometimes, we confuse the
two terms: family literacy and family literacy programs.

And while I'm here, may I answer this question posed by Lise?
What do you think about mentoring all these Graduate students who have been
sending in questions? ;-)

In my opinion, the people who read, monitor and respond to this list are
among the most generous folks I know.  They not only expect to respond to
those who need information, they seek to find reasons to respond.  Most of us
are still asking questions ourselves, and we hope someone is out there
listening and willing to answer.

All the Best,