[NIFL-FAMILY:1461] Re: HELP!!!--Motivating young African-American males to read

From: sarah bassuk (s_bassuk@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 16:20:14 EST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:20:14 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: sarah bassuk <s_bassuk@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1461] Re: HELP!!!--Motivating young African-American males to read

I see that the original issue of how to motivate young
African American males to read in school does not
appear to be relevant for a family literacy listserve.
But it is a good idea to restructure the issue. If
African American males are left out of the arena of
being literate citizens, then this has a grave impact
on family literacy. First of all, if our young African
American males are not literate, they are not able to
participate in the many aspects of society that demand
literacy competencies. This leads to fathers who are
not able to pursue opportunities because thier
literacy experiences (at school and beyond) were not
adequate. In addition, their children will be lacking
the modeling that is needed throughout their emergent
literacy experiences, which will leave the children at
a disadvantage with regards to literacy exposure.