[NIFL-FAMILY:1384] Even Start Funding Update

From: Tony Peyton (tpeyton@famlit.org)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 15:03:33 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:03:33 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tony Peyton" <tpeyton@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1384] Even Start Funding Update

Even Start Funding Update for Fiscal Year 2003

As I mentioned last week, Congress is working to finalize Fiscal Year 2003
appropriations before the current continuing resolution expires on this
Friday (January 7). The House has recommended $250 million for Even Start
and the Senate has recommended $200 million. Continue to contact your
Members of Congress and urge them to accept and support the House position
of $250 million for Even Start.

Preview of Fiscal Year 2004

Today we learned that the President's Fiscal Year 2004 budget request for
Even Start is $175 million. While Fiscal Year 2003 funding is not final (see
above), we do know that $175 million for Fiscal Year 2004 would be a $75
million decrease from Fiscal Year 2002. For more detail visit
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2004/index.html .

Over the next several months we will be encouraging the family literacy
community to contact Members of Congress to urge them to support and
maintain Even Start funding for Fiscal Year 2004. Advocacy from the field is
the most powerful tool we can use to advance the cause of family literacy.

Stay tuned for more details.