National Institute for Literacy

[FamilyLiteracy] Family Literacy programs and public libraries

Anderson, Abbie M abmander at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 23 19:39:13 EST 2005

Greetings!

I am the Curator of Education at a university-based museum of
anthropology, and have partnered very happily with my family literacy
"buddies" who work in a 4-component program based in local school
systems (the CAPE program in Monroe County, Indiana). I am also
completing a Masters in Library Science, with the goal of becoming a
youth services librarian in a public library.

Family literacy is an issue close to my heart, and I have built this
passion into my coursework. This term, I am pursuing a group assignment
that will result in a class presentation on issues surrounding Family
Literacy and Public Libraries. The topic was my own suggestion; although
most of my classmates knew little about family literacy programs when I
first presented the idea, it drew a great deal of interest.

I would be grateful for your comments about the role of public libraries
in your own family literacy efforts. Do you partner with public
libraries/librarians? If so, what is the extent of the library's
involvement in your program? How do you make use of the public library
with the families you serve? In your experience, what are the pros and
cons (strengths and weaknesses) of working with libraries/librarians?
How many of you are librarians?

I look forward to your answers. Thank you!

As background, and to explain my own perspective:

Beginning in the mid-'90's, there was a surge of advocacy in library
circles for developing family literacy programs. Libraries seemed to be
a natural fit: we already advocate literacy, we are experienced with
programming for families, and we've got the books. Public libraries,
offering free materials and a wide range of services and fun events for
families, can and should be a powerful engine for cultivating a love of
reading and learning. This is especially true for those trapped in the
vicious cycle of intergenerational illiteracy/low literacy linked to
poverty, and for newcomers to the United States who are learning
English.

However, in most parts of the United States, public libraries play a
passive or supporting role at best in family literacy programs. The
reasons for this appear to range from the fact that many libraries are
not prepared to deal with the social welfare needs of the families
served, to the fact that many family literacy programs originate as
extensions of adult education programs based in schools or local
literacy agencies-and issues of territory and habit inhibit deeper
partnerships. Library-centric programs like "Prime Time" appear to be
the exception rather than the rule.

Apologies for the lengthy e-mail!

Yours,

Abbie Anderson

Abbie Anderson

Curator of Education

Mathers Museum of World Cultures

http://www.indiana.edu/~mathers

abmander at indiana.edu

(812) 855-0197

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance."

--Albert Einstein, via Bubbles Powerpuff