National Institute for Literacy

[FamilyLiteracy] Finding Adult Literacy Education Knowledge

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Wed Nov 9 07:03:24 EST 2005

Colleagues,

Many adult literacy and English language learning practitioners turn
to this electronic list to find knowledge and wisdom, and to get
answers to specific professional questions. We also have other ways
of finding knowledge. We learn from our experience and that of our
colleagues. We read certain journals, magazines and newspapers, we
seek out opinions from reputable sources, and we try to find the
best research which addresses our question or problem. So, here's my
question:

How do you find answers to your adult literacy and English language
learning questions?

a. For example, do you use any of the following?

• NIFL LINCS Special collections, LINCSearch, discussion lists, and
the included online documents and archives
• Canadian-sponsored National Adult Literacy Database (NALD) and its
online documents and archives
• National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy
(NCSALL) Web site and its hard copy publications
• ERIC Database
• The Adult Literacy Education Wiki
• OTAN
• EdWeek
• PEN
• Other electronic lists

b. What else do you use? What hard copy journals do you find
useful? Are there other electronic resources that are helpful in
answering questions?

Please e-mail your answers to me. I will compile what I get and post
a summary back to those who e-mail me so we can all benefit from our
collective wisdom. You can send a short email with just items to add
to the list above or, if you prefer, you can write a longer, more
reflective answer which contextualizes the question, describes how
the question hits home for you, expresses frustration with how little
research and professional wisdom our field has, or whatever you would
like to say. If you think your comments pertain to the focus of this
list, of course, you could post them here.

Thanks for your help in answering this question, which I hope is not
mine alone.

David J. Rosen
DJRosen at comcast.net