[NIFL-HEALTH:4823] Status re/ rewrites for Katrina victims

From: Lendoak@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 12:31:05 EDT

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:31:05 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Lendoak@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4823] Status re/ rewrites for Katrina victims

Dear Volunteers,

CDC,  and Ceci and I,  send a warm "thank you" for volunteering your skills
to rewrite emergency messages in plain language for agencies helping Katrina
victims. There were 20 of you, including two from Canada.

Current status:

Rewrites of a dozen pieces were requested by CDC.  Six volunteers were
involved in rewriting.  They turned these around in a few hours to a few days; often
including simple visuals.  Some of these were in the hands of hurricane
victims just days afterward.  So your efforts made an immediate difference.

A quick search of web sites of other agencies revealed that many
hurricane/flood instructions need improvements if people are to understand them.

Additional requests:

Louise Villejo of MD Anderson Cancer Center at Houston has kindly alerted 16
Texas agencies of your offers to help in the Katrina/Rita emergency.  There is
one request from an agency in the Mayor's office at Houston for a simplified
Spanish instruction.  If you can simplify Spanish and perhaps add visuals for
this emergency Guide (http://www.houstontx.gov/oem/Spanish.pdf), please let us
know, or you may contact Benito Juarez at Benito.Juarez@cityofhouston.net.

We will continue to coordinate these emergency requests until Oct. 14.
Meanwhile, we'll keep you informed of any requests we receive.  Thank you.

best wishes,

Ceci and Len Doak