[NIFL-HEALTH:4774] New Readers of Iowa 2005 Health/Literacy Conference

From: Archie Willard (millard@goldfieldaccess.net)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 17:28:27 EDT

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:28:27 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Archie Willard <millard@goldfieldaccess.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4774] New Readers of Iowa 2005 Health/Literacy Conference

The New Readers of Iowa have been together for 16 years now and we are
about to have our 16th state conference on Saturday, September 10, at
the Sheraton Four Points Airport Hotel, 1810 Army Post Road, Des Moines,
Iowa. The phone number is 515 287 6464. Ask for the New Readers of Iowa
Conference room rate. This will be a one day conference from 9 a.m. to 4
p.m.

On one of the listservs there has been some discussion about how hard it
is for a person with poor literacy skills to pursue their right to
happiness that is guaranteed to us by our constitution. Because of the
many things that are happening in our society today it is becoming
harder to do. The New Readers of Iowa state conferences are aimed at
helping adult learners to communicate better and we want them to come
away better prepared to deal with the little things in life. When we as
adult learners get better at communication we build our confidence and
we do better things with our lives.

When you’ve grown up and have lost your childhood dreams as a child, you
become very defensive about yourself, your life and many other things
because of your past experiences. The bad memories and the struggles of
not learning to read clog your thinking and you can’t see all the
beautiful little things in life that are all around you. By having these
conferences we have tried to build confidence in adult learners and
enable them to have a happy and more productive life. Good health is one
of those things that will help us and it is something we all should be
working on: how to use the health system. It is very complicated not
just for adult learners, but for all of us.

The topic of this year’s conference is health and literacy. A group of
pharmacists will be there to provide information for you about your
medications. You can bring your medications in and ask questions about
them. We will have very general health screening. The “Ask Me 3” project
will be reviewed and a panel of new readers will share their
perspectives about their experiences with it. A dietician will talk
about nutrition. We will have a presentation about the new law that goes
into effect in 2006 concerning how to access prescription drugs for
people who have no drug coverage and other helpful information about
health care.

I feel we have a very good program with some good speakers from the
health field: Rima Rudd, Sc. D., Harvard University School of Public
Health; Joanne Schwartzberg, M.D., American Medical Association; Mary
Mincer Hansen, State Health Commissioner; Dr. David Peat from the UK who
is working on health literacy in the UK; and others.

I’m asking adult literacy programs all over the country to send adult
learners to our health and literacy conference and give them a chance to
grow. This conference is one of a kind and it is one of the few student
conferences still out there, so we need your support to keep adult
literacy alive for people who have poor literacy skills. At these
conferences we all come to learn together but if you are not an adult
learner and you want to learn with us and from each other, you are
welcome to attend the conference. There is no conference fee, but you
need to register by calling Karmen Shriver at 1 888 466 4222, ext. 4341.

At the end of the conference, the adult learners will have a discussion
and compare the last two conferences and talk about what they have
learned. If they feel they need to add to the Health Literacy Statement
that we made at last year’s conference, we will do this at that time. I
hope to see many of you at our conference.

Contributors to the conference:

The Iowa Department of Education
Pfizer
Harvard School of Public Health
The Iowa Health System
The Learning Disabilities Association of Iowa
American Medical Association
World Education
North Iowa Area Community College
HyVee Food Stores