[NIFL-HEALTH:4721] Re: Regional health literacy initiatives

From: William Smith (BSMITH@smtp.aed.org)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 16:51:25 EDT

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "William Smith" <BSMITH@smtp.aed.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4721] Re: Regional health literacy initiatives

At AED we have used a tool called Youth Mapping to involve youth (middle
and high school teens) top map social resources in their communities -
meet with the service organizations involved - help those organizations
use that data to improve their programs.  We have applied youth mapping
to over 100 American cities now with significant success in re-orienting
service organizations there.

We are presently partnered with the Institute of medicine to develop a
youth mapping tool that looks at health literacy as a community
characteristic, not just a personal or institutional characteristics.
Basically asking:  Is your community health literate?  We are using the
tool in Pinellas County Fla.  and Harlem,  New York  to identify sources
of help for physicians, hospitals, transportation services, etc. in
dealing with health literacy.  The object is not to "grade" communities
but identify their strengths and opportunities they have to improve
their broad community response to health literacy.

Wm. Smith
Executive Vice President
Academy for Educational Development
1825 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

Organize policy until self-interest
does what justice requires.
Phone: 202-884-8750
Fax: 202-884-8752
e-mail: bsmith@aed.org

>>> helen@healthliteracy.com 5/16/2005 3:31:13 PM >>>
Hi Gail,

Yes, this initiative is focused on improving health communication with
consumers, patients, the general public.

It is not focused on upgrading work skills for health employees.

Thanks for clarifying,
~Helen

Helen Osborne M.Ed., OTR/L
President: Health Literacy Consulting, http://www.healthliteracy.com