[NIFL-HEALTH:4708] Students' roles in health literacy

From: David J. Rosen (DJRosen@theworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 11:41:03 EDT

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:41:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "David J. Rosen" <DJRosen@theworld.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4708] Students' roles in health literacy

NIFL Health Colleagues,

I posted the message below on the NIFL-AALPD (professional development)
e-list, where a discussion is taking place about adult learners' and
adult learner leaders' roles in adult literacy education professional
development.  My question (below) may be of interest to some on this
list, too.  If so, you can subscribe to the NIFL-AALPD list or look at
the archives (after a few days) by going to:

   http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/nifl-aalpd/aalpd.html

from which  you can subscribe -- and join in the discussion -- or look
at the archives.

David J. Rosen
djrosen@comcast.net

NIFL-AALPD colleagues,

One challenging area of adult literacy education professional
development is health.  Many teachers are uncomfortable incorporating
health issues in their ESOL/ESL, ABE or GED/EDP classes.  Health
literacy may require medical knowledge, or it may involve talking about
parts of the body (as in the case of HIV/AIDS; breast, cervical or
prostate cancer) or behaviors such as drug or alcohol abuse, topics with
which teachers often are not comfortable, or which they feel they are
not qualified to teach.

In many cases, however, students are comfortable talking about health
issues such as these, and in some cases they are experts. For example,
they may be health workers or health professionals.  In Boston  we
sometimes have people in ESOL classes who have been medical or health
education practitioners in their countries: nurses, doctors....and some
have also been teachers.  In ABE and GED classes we often have students
who are experienced healthcare paraprofessionals, home health care
aides, for example.

So, here's my question -- for adult learner leaders and for others on
the panel:  how could a teacher who wants to introduce health literacy
issues into the classroom take advantage of students' health knowledge
and expertise?  Does anyone have some examples of this being done?  Or
does anyone have other examples of student leadership in health that you
would like to mention? (Of course I want to hear from Massachusetts
people, who probably have a lot to say about this, but I am equally
interested to hear from those of you in Delaware, Texas, Vermont,
Florida, and other states. I believe that one of the founders, and Board
Members of VALUE in her working life is a nurse in Indiana. If she has
joined this discussion, it would be great to hear from her about this, too.

David J. Rosen
djrosen@comcast.net