[NIFL-HEALTH:4679] Re: FW: Choice of format

From: Martha Burton Santibanez (mburton@nmdp.org)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 15:07:15 EST

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:07:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Martha Burton Santibanez <mburton@nmdp.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4679] Re: FW: Choice of format

Speaking as a woman who had a baby within the past year, I would
encourage you to think about incorporating your message into packaging -
like what they do with promotions on cereal boxes.  I've gotta tell you
that the REAMS of post-partum info I received is still in a pile in a
corner of my bedroom, 10 months later.  Never read it.  But I've read
the backs of about a billion baby food containers.

Maybe a corporate co-sponsor, like Gerber, would be a good partner?  I
spend a LOT of time reading the backs of boxes and containers, trying to
figure out if it is something I would feed my baby  - or feed myself,
since it ultimately ends up in my baby.  That is the bulk of my
recreational reading at this stage: the backs of baby cereal boxes and
Mother Goose rhymes.  ;-)

Or what about signs at the grocery store that could flag foods that are
good sources of folic acid, and include some brief info about folic acid
pre-pregnancy & post-partum?  I think that would be *very* effective
with influencing food selection.  Even just something that said
"Baby-Friendly Food" would be nice, IMO...

I got rid of all of my refrigerator magnets for two reasons - I didn't
want my baby chewing on any that might fall off, and then I renovated my
kitchen and went stainless.  Stainless steel = no magnets sticking.
Something to think about.

Martha Burton Santibanez
(your focus group of one)