[NIFL-HEALTH:4622] Re: Press coverage of December symposium

From: Mary Ann Corley (macorley1@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 13:45:23 EST

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:45:23 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Mary Ann  Corley <macorley1@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4622] Re: Press coverage of December symposium

Hi, Don:

The symposium sessions were structured to engage participants, following each research presentation, in a discussion of the implications for policy, practice, and further research. Participants, in groups of 6 to 8, completed response cards on the implications of each research presentation. CALPRO staff now are compiling the response cards from all 30 concurrent sessions and we will post these to the Symposium Web site www.researchtopractice.org.

We also put together a binder containing abstracts of each research presentation and distributed these to participants. We will save these abstracts in pdf formats and post these to the Symposium Web site. In addition, we have some of the researchers' PowerPoints that we will save in pdf and post to the Web site. And we will post the photos taken at the Symposium to the Web site. All these items will serve as an archive of events and information sharing from the symposium.

Then, to encourage continuing dialogue about the Symposium, CALPRO Research Analyst, Erik Jacobson, has begun a LPRPConnections (Literacy-Practice-Research-Policy) electronic discussion list. You can subscribe by visiting the CALPRO Web site www.calpro-online.org and clicking on the link and following the directions there. Erik also, with tremendous support from David Rosen, is in the process of setting up a wiki (a multi-user Web page) on implications from the symposium, including a glossary of research terms. The fun thing about the wiki is that any subscriber can edit and add his/her own comments and insights about the entries. As soon as all the above are ready, we will announce to all the NIFL lists. We need a bit more time to prepare all these; we're working on them now and should have them up in a few weeks' time.

So, to anwer your question, we are continuing the work begun at the Symposium, but we have not submitted summary articles to newspapers or magazines.  Instead, we are hoping that the field will continue its dialogue through the above vehicles about these research topics and that, eventually, a research agenda for adult literacy may evolve. Thanks for your interest.

-Mary Ann Corley
 Erik Jacobson