National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1413] Re: Tech fluency and English skills - research?

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 09:25:23 EST 2007

Paul and others,

The Research section of the Technology Area on the Adult Literacy
Education Wiki describes outcomes from studies in California and
Pennsylvania (the PA one is an experimental design study, although with
a very small sample) that support that English language learners who
supplement classroom learning with videos, computer assisted language
learning or online learning do better than learners who only attend
class. (Cut and paste the long, two-line URL below in your browser.

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/ResearchO
nTech#Is_supplemental_.28blended.29_DL_instruction_an_effective_learning_tool.3F

Anyone, if there are other studies of which you are aware that should be
included in the Adult Literacy Education Wiki Technology Research
section, please add in the information on the wiki page yourself, or
email it to me to add.

Perhaps Steve Quann or Diana Satin might have some observations on this
question, as well. Here's an article and a book of theirs that describe
ways to integrate English language learning with technology learning.

http://www.ncsall.net/?id=301
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=9141

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net