National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1329] Re: Trying Out the Technology IntegrationSelfAssessment (TISA)

Tim Ponder tponder at zhost.net
Fri Oct 5 10:55:20 EDT 2007

Hi,
I have taken both of the assessments on the www.adultedonline.org and each
was very valuable to my own professional development planning. There are
many things I really like about the TISA and its format, but a few things
really stood out to me.

The questions helped me to think not only of my skill level, but also how
well I am prepared to teach certain competencies. Looking at Technology
Integration in the structured format helped me to really think through the
competencies and understand both where I needed additional PD for my own
understanding and where I could improve my preparedness to teach/train on
these competencies. The questions also helped me to think about the
importance of each as related to my work. While I have asked myself some of
these questions before, the structure and progression really helped me to
think it through in a different way and in some cases arrive at different
conclusions.

I really like the way the results and PD planning piece are structured.
While there are a number of areas I identified as good candidates for
personal PD, the assessment urged me to focus on no more than four, a
manageable goal. I also really like the way the plan is broken down into
smaller tasks. Where I might think to myself "I need to find out more about
X" and that stays in the back of my mind as a larger task, the assessment
breaks it down into some logical smaller steps that can be done in shorter
periods of time, making it more likely that I will follow through. I like
the way I can use it over time as an ongoing guide when I am planning my PD.
And the concepts of the assessment and planning process will help me in
looking at my skills and professional development needs in other areas in a
different (and for me, more productive) way than I have in the past.

The assessment and planning piece can seem a bit long and intimidating. But
there are good supporting resources, the ability to stop and return as
needed without losing what has already been done, and in my case found the
time it took to get comfortable with and then complete the process to be
very worthwhile.

I have thought about how it can be used beyond just the individual as well.
The Administrator functionality, where others can be invited to take the
survey and an administrator can see cumulative results opens up a variety of
possibilities. This provides some good information to the programs which
could help in decision making, planning and PD development. Beyond that, if
the summary information is shared by administrators and teachers at a
regional or state level, it can become a strong planning tool/needs
assessment to help inform technology PD decisions. I also feel the
competencies used for the TISA are a great starting point for a state who
may need to develop their own, or a good review for a state who has
competencies developed for teachers. There may be several on the TISA that
could be integrated into what a state has developed, and there may be some a
state has thought of that would be good additions to the TISA. I also see it
having potential use as a good PD assessment/planning exercise that could
provide process ideas that would be valuable in looking at other topics as
well.

Didn't mean to ramble quite this much, but I see a great deal of value for
individuals as well as organizations/states in this and the Distance
Learning tool on the site, and I think its well worth the time to at least
check it out.

Thanks for listening,
Tim
--