National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1327] Additional Information about GCFLeanFree.org

Kelly Potter Markham kelly at gcflearnfree.org
Fri Oct 5 09:55:37 EDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who took a look at our site, www.GCFLearnFree.org,
yesterday. Throughout the day, several of you emailed me and let me know
that we were having some issues with our Join Now/Create an Account process.
We just launched our redesigned site on Monday, and while we thought we had
all the "bugs" worked out, a few were discovered yesterday. I think we have
it all fixed and it should work correctly now. If you have any difficulties
with creating a free account, please let me know!

If you have not already taken a look at our new Everyday Life
<http://www.gcflearnfree.org/everydaylife/> program, I encourage you to do
so. We currently have 17 interactive lessons available, but will be
releasing many, many more topics in the future. Current lessons include
using an ATM, completing a bank deposit form, filling out a job application,
using a bus map, and much more. I highly recommend you complete the short
Tutorial before you begin. The lessons make a lot more sense after
completing the tutorial, and you can understand how low-literacy learners
would be instructed to complete the lessons. You will want to view the
lessons with the sound on your computer turned on. Lessons have audio and
text directions.

Some of you may be interested in our Computer Training
<http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computer/> section, as well. Here we cover
topics such as Computer Basics, Internet Safety, OpenOffice, and Microsoft
Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and more. Our Computer Training
lessons are primarily text and screenshot-based, so may not be appropriate
for all learners; however, we are moving to a video-based lesson format with
supplemental text. You can take a look at our Publisher 2003 lessons to get
a better idea of how we will develop future topics.

If it sounds like our site may be of use to you or your learners, please
take a look at it. It is a completely free resource! And don't worry, when
you create an account with us, we will never share your information with
others or email you unless you opt-in for the newsletter.

If you have any feedback, please let me know. We are especially interested
in what literacy professionals think of these initial lessons and any topics
that you think would be worthwhile for us to cover in our next round of
production.

Thanks for your time.

Kelly Potter Markham

Instructional Designer, GCFLearnFree.org

kelly at GCFLearnFree.org

Visit http://www.GCFLearnFree.org <http://www.gcflearnfree.org/> today to
learn the computer training and life skills you need to succeed!

The freedom to learn what you want, when you want, absolutely free!