National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1326] Re: What are your learning strategies?

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Thu Oct 4 20:53:47 EDT 2007

Picking up on the question of how your learning stategies have changed
over the last five years, I know for myself that I spend a lot more time
online than I used to. I probably read more online than I do print,
although this is a fairly recent development.

I recently did a workshop called Web 2.0 for Administrators. To help me
decide which topics to include, I went to a social networking site I
belong to, http://classroom20.ning.com, and posted the question on a forum
there. I got some great answers from teachers and administrators in
various parts of the world, learned about some new possibilities, and
definitely improved my workshop. So, this is my new favorite learning
strategy - social networking.

Do you have a learning strategy that wouldn't have been possible 10 years
ago? A site that you use? What do you think our learners need to know
about locating information?

The technology section of the ALE Wiki has a discussion of how to keep up
with technology from July 2005. The list of suggestions is here:
http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/AleTechnologyKeepingUp
I wonder if there are things that we would add now that weren't around two
years ago.

Marian

The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on