National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1317] Trying Out the Technology Integration Self Assessment (TISA)

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Wed Oct 3 08:41:13 EDT 2007

Technology Colleagues,

Marian Thacher mentioned that I helped to review the TISA
competencies. As I was considering the technology competency
categories and, within them, the specific competencies, I was
thinking that the list should be wide-ranging, that it should cover
the basics and also push in some new directions for using technology.
I thought that the assessment that would be developed based on the
list should be useful for a teacher who was new to using technology
in the classroom and not confident, and also for a teacher who had a
lot of experience using technology but was ready to take on new
skills and knowledge. When you take the assessment, please let us
know if the range of comepetencies met your needs for professional
development. Were you able to identify ways that you could grow in
using technology in the classroom?

Speaking of which, please do take the assessment. It's at http://
adultedonline.org/ If you can, do it today so you can fully
participate in this discussion. If you have more time, use the TISA
to build yourself an Integrating technology professional development
plan. Then let us know how this worked for you.

For those who may be confused about what this is, the Technology
Integration Self Assessment (TISA) is an online self assessment of
one's skills in using technology in the adult education classroom,
and it is more. It is a planning process that leads to a professional
development plan. And more. It includes strategies for using local,
face-to-face professional development learning resources, and for
each competency it also includes links to free, online learning
resources for teachers.

Since I was very involved in selecting the online learning resources
for teachers, I am particularly eager to see what you think of them.
I would also appreciate knowing about other (better) free online
resources that would help a teacher master a particular integrating
technology competency. The list of learning resources is useful, I
believe, but could be better. If you have suggestions for online
learning resources that could be added, or other suggestions, please
let Marian and me know.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net