National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1245] Re: Homeland Security question

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Tue Aug 28 13:14:30 EDT 2007

Hello Matthias,

On Aug 27, 2007, at 3:32 PM, you wrote:

> In Canada, we had the same questions coming into providing more

> online options for ABE learners starting in 2003. Over the course

> of the three years of the pilot project, we found out that the

> demographic of learners targeted and reached was quite different to

> the one of regular classroom-based or one-on-one literacy programs

> as the participating programs offered learners more flexibility in

> their learning options. >From a funding perspective that meant that

> the amount of learners to be serviced in the future for the same

> amount of funding is larger and more cost-effective options are

> needed, which in some cases online option can provide. Overall I

> think that by providing more flexibility to learners the quality of

> services has improved, also because it's more reflective of the

> demands in today's society re the use of learning technology. And

> it has helped to reach learners that were marginalized by not being

> able to attend regular programs in the past.

> Matthias Sturm

Can you tell us a little more, please?

1) Were those in the pilot project who were using online learning
doing it as pure distance learning or was this a blended (supported,
hybrid) model?

2) Exactly how did the demographics change with those who chose to
participate in the pilot? How did they differ from those served in
regular classrooms? Students' goals? Literacy levels? Geography (more
rural?) In other ways? For example, if you are familiar with the
Reder and Strawn Longitudinal study (LSAL) in Portland Oregon, would
you describe the pilot study participants as primarily "self study"
people?

3) Are you saying that you found online learning more cost-effective?
If so, can you tell us why?

4) Why has quality of services improved? Is this because with
combinations of face-to-face and online learning students have
greater intensity of learning, i.e. more time on task? Or is it
something else?

Thanks. I look forward to learning more about the pilot project and
to seeing your answers to these questions.

All the best,

David

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net