National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1217] Re: Homeland Security question

Burkett, Barry Barry.Burkett at Franklin.kyschools.us
Wed Aug 22 08:28:58 EDT 2007

Larry,

I will have to learn more about the site, but I think many students will
view the help skeptically because of past experience. After September
11th, NYC asked all immigrants (legal and illegal) to register to help
the city better understand its friends vs.. enemies. Many immigrants
did so, and those illegals (Mexican, Irish, Danish, Congolese, etc.)
were shipped off over the next couple of years.

So, what am I getting at? Some classes build progressively and want
individual student identification so that a student can leave mid-class
and pick-up where they left off. Could this individual ID hurt the
student's status: I am thinking that even if the DHS site does not ask
for personal information it can be gotten other ways, like using a
"jon.smith at yahoo.com " address to track to the user's more personal
information of locale.

Barry Burkett,
Frankfort, KY

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not after me." Bumper
Sticker