National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1093] Telephone-Based C.A.L.L. Language Website

Matthew Chmiel mc2592 at nyu.edu
Wed Jun 20 16:54:16 EDT 2007

Hi

My name is Matthew Chmiel. This is my first posting to this list-serve so I will be brief. I just completed a social-network
between students and tutors that facilitates second language acquisition. It is a compliment for any language learning method
(Rosetta Stone, Classroom, etc), and offers students recordable practice conversations over the telephone. This whole set-up
supports any language on the planet. Each language is divided into 10 scenes; currently there can be up to 5 versions of any
scene. A maxed-out language can give students 50 different conversations to practice with. A scene is a series of questions in
the target language - in between each question is a pause long enough for a student to respond. The audio files that make up
scenes are provided by tutors - who join the site when invited by students. A tutor can be anyone fluent in the language. All
of the audio interactions - recording scenes, and student conversations - occurs over the telephone, making the conversation
simulations feel more realistic. The website is called the Language Dialer.

Please visit the site: http://www.languagedialer.com and tell me what you think.

There are other features designed into this network. If you are interested in more details, please feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Matthew Chmiel
New York University
Tisch School of the Arts - Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP)
(The LD is my graduate thesis from ITP)