National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1090] Last week

Burkett, Barry Barry.Burkett at Franklin.kyschools.us
Tue Jun 19 16:48:16 EDT 2007

Heidi,

In your first post last week you mentioned that you had been doing
research on distance learning. I know you said you did not have a
bibliography ready yet, but would it be possible to get some of the
Authors, Journals, Books or online resources you have been reading. The
list does not have to be comprehensive, but a starting point would be
nice.

Thanks for your time last week. I enjoyed reading the thread immensely.

FYI, for the past 5 weeks I have been working with low level literacy
students using a class that was 1/2 computer based and 1/2 person to
person. I started out with five students, one wanted one on one
tutoring, and the other 2 stopped attending, but the two that did remain
made decent gains according to the Nelson-Denny reading test.

Barry Burkett, Adult Educator
Thorn Hill Learning Center
Frankfort, KY
502.223.3110

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid; humans are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
beyond imagination" - Albert Einstein

"While adult education should be viewed as a right, not as a stigmatized
second-chance program for those who have failed or dropped from out
school stystems, at the present time lifelong learning is only being
given lip service" (Askov, 2000, p. 259)