National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1082] Re: A new vision for online learning - a plug for UDL

Silver-Pacuilla, Heidi HSilver-Pacuilla at air.org
Sat Jun 16 20:32:41 EDT 2007

Hello all - I've been thinking about your post, too, David. While I'm
not a gamer, I, like Tina, live with one, my son. I think there is a
lot of education potential in virtual worlds such as Second Life -IF it
is intentionally designed.

Most of the video and online environments are designed with major
assumptions about what users bring to the experience and then the rest
of what you need to know in order to play is built in to the experience,
as you mentioned. For our lowest literacy students and new-to-English
students, however, the assumptions are largely incorrect. This is also
a problem for gamers with disabilities. There are pockets of dedicated
gamers with disabilities organizing themselves to create work-arounds in
many online environments because the games aren't always compatible with
their assistive technologies, but the numbers are quite small.

The environments need to be thoughtfully and universally designed.

I had the good fortune to listen to David Rose, Co Founder of CAST,
<http://www.cast.org/> give a talk about universal design for learning
and the GPS/mapping/OnStar system that he had experienced in rental
cars. This device is universally designed for users with all kinds of
preferences for voices or sounds, types of map display, level of detail,
size of font and brightness of backlighting, volume of sound,..... You
name it, you could customize it. He went into great detail because
truly, this was a universally designed tool.

The catch for him was realizing that when he was done with his rental
car in Columbus OH, he knew no more about the city than when he had
arrived. The device - and using it for several days - had not led him
to learn anything.

It was not universally designed for LEARNING. Its intention was to help
you arrive at your meeting.

Unless islands in Second Life - for example - are started with an
intention that users could learn there, then simply playing the game
will probably not help many of our students learn the fundamental skills
that they have been working around for years.

This is all coming straight out of my perspective grounded in learning
disabilities research and teaching, you understand. My students did not
learn literacy and numeracy just by being immersed. They learned with
intentionally designed environments, activities, and materials. They
learned a lot of other life skills by being immersed and had lots of
other talents, don't get me wrong, but literacy, numeracy, and language
were real puzzles for them that required intense, intentional work.

I have not checked the GED island in Second Life, so I'll be curious
about that. Anyone visited it yet? And what about an island where you
could just stop by and practice English using Voice Over Internet?
These intentional designs and uses of the online environment have real
potential, I think, but as David points out, they don't have
to/shouldn't be like "school".

Heidi