National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 971] Re: M-learning through cell phones

Edward J. Leach leach at league.org
Tue Apr 24 11:39:59 EDT 2007

Each year, Track One (Emerging and Future Educational Technology) at the
Conference on Information Technology (www.league.org/2007cit) focuses on
an emerging technology believed to be of particular interest to
educators. For the 2007 CIT, the special focus of Track One is Portable
High-Tech Media Devices and Their Implications for Instruction. The
growing consumer use of MP3 players, PDAs, cell phones, and other
portable high-tech media devices raises questions about their role in
improving student learning and student access to learning. How does the
use of these devices change the dynamics of teaching and learning? Does
instructional content linked to these devices now make them an
additional de facto student purchase? How is instructional success
defined and measured when using these devices? Sessions targeted toward
this focus area should assist in the evaluation, adaptation, and use of
portable high-tech media devices for academic purposes. Although the
increased use of portable high-tech media devices is the special focus
of the 2007 CIT, other topics
<http://www.league.org/2007cit/win/win_special_interest.htm> related to
the future use of information technology at community and technical
colleges will be presented.