National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 953] Re: Subject: RE: handhelds day 2

Marilyn Williams williams_ma at 4j.lane.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:58:31 EDT 2007

Hi Mike,
It's great to hear about all you're doing with handhelds.
Although the Palms I have don't have internet capability, the Tungsten e2 does have internet
capability and you can do PowerPoints etc. There is video capability as well which would
probably take more memory than what comes standard but I bet you could use SD cards to
store that kind of data. I really don't know if a handheld would be the best tool for doing lots of
media kinds of things but it would certainly be interesting to check that out.
I'm in the process of experimenting with downloading podcasts to the Palms for students to get
more practice with fluency and reading strategies. They'll be able to hear my voice, as well as
read the text along with me (or someone) and they'll be asked to stop and think and possibly
record (in a documents folder on the Palm) their observations.
One other thing that might sway in favor of the Palm would be its small size and portability.

I totally agree with you that technology is only a tool that, hopefully, makes learning more
effective and attractive. I've really appreciated the way the handhelds encourage collaboration
among students and motivates them to extend their learning.

Thanks for your thoughts; I'd be interested in hearing what you decide and how your projects
work out!

Marilyn Williams
6th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies
Kennedy Middle School