National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 940] Re: Handheld discussion day 3

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 19 11:33:59 EDT 2007

Hi, Marilyn, and all,
I'm visually impaired, and have been delighted to know that I can use a Palm, because I can hold it as close to my eyes as I need to. I never bothered to learn graffiti, since I prefer the stylus. I do have a keyboard, but, again, have had no real reason to use it (I just use mine as a planner and a keeper of documents I don't want to lose, to back up my jump drive). However, I have gone through several versions of Palms because of technological problems. One I tried to use on another computer and it wouldn't do anything ever again. I tried everything. One just stopped hotsynching, and another had its on/off button break. Maybe I'm just hard on mine and these kids are way better at this than I am, but despite the correlation laptop/handheld, they're still not cheap, and if you're using a program as you describe that requires a lot of screen space, I'd suspect you'd need one with a color screen, good backlighting and resolution. I'd also like to learn more about students
with disabilities finding it "painful" to write: could you elaborate?
Best,
Bonnie Odiorne, Writing Center Director, Post University