National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 837] Re: Changing reading levels of text questions

Mariann Fedele MariannF at lacnyc.org
Wed Feb 7 12:49:25 EST 2007

Hello Patti and all,

I asked one of my colleagues, Dr. Winston Lawrence, to provide a brief
response to you post. The below message is forwarded to the list on his
behalf:

Hi Mariann:

I am not aware of any software that can translate content from one
reading level to another. I agree with Denis that the process has to be
done in one's head. In other words you have to rewrite the material that
may be written at a 12th grade level and produce a text that will be
at the 6th or 7th grade level. When you are done, you would do a
readability check to see the reading level. In our plain language work
at the LAC, we have been mindful of the fact that substituting one word
for another - swapping words or using synonyms - is not the way to go.
We look at the whole passage and try to determine the purpose(s) of the
text and then do a rewrite.

The point raised as regards the use of pictures is also a valid - that
pictures do not automatically allow low literate students to gain
greater meaning. Recently, we conducted some interviews with students
and showed them some visuals related to HIV from some brochures. They
gave very different interpretations to the visuals and said that the
visuals did not make any sense. So in using pictures, one needs to be
careful about one's assumptions. The pictures need to have a known
schema and should mirror the text as much as possible. Otherwise it is
meaningless.

Winston Lawrence Ed. D

Senior Professional Development Associate

Literacy Assistance Center

32 Broadway, 10th Floor

New York, NY 10004

Tel: 212-803-3326

Fax: 212-785-3685

Email: winstonl at lacnyc.org

Mariann Fedele

Associate Director,

NYC Regional Adult Education Network

Literacy Assistance Center

Moderator,
NIFL Technology and Literacy Discussion List
32 Broadway 10th Floor
New York, New York 10004
212-803-3325
mariannf at lacnyc.org