National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1521] Re: Transition- the IQ debate

Michael Tate mtate at sbctc.edu
Fri Nov 9 15:13:46 EST 2007

The real benefits of the belief that people with LD have average to
above average intelligence is that teachers are more willing to use
metacognitive approaches like strategy instruction and other
evidence-based practices rather than remediation.

Also, it is easier for the teachers to commit to strength-based
practices like working with a person with LD as a "learning partner"
rather than "deficit-based" relationships and approaches.

Most of the definitions of LD that I have seen, do contain the "average
to above average" term. In my case, being assigned to the bluebird group
(less than average intelligence) in primary school, created a stigma
that was much more difficult to deal with than my LD. I could compensate
for the LD, but "attitude is the biggest barrier for people with
disabilities".

Michael Tate