National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1461] Re: Fwd: Transition Questions

Anne R Connors arconn at juno.com
Mon Nov 5 20:42:29 EST 2007

I was wondering if this 16 year old had any goals? What does he/she want
to do with his/her life? If the student wishes to further his education
, than he needs some math skills. However, if the student has no goals
that include math training, he/she can easily get by with just calculator
skills. The thinking skills to arrive at the correct answers in math,
even if using the calculator, are most of the battle anyway, I think.
Memorization of the times table and addition and subtraction can be
learned by rote..... if there is a need to. Knowing when and how to
add subtract and multiply and which numbers to use, takes the thinking.
I have students who can do the math easily, but when it comes to a
reading problem, they don't know what to do, with or without the
calculator.

Rae Connors