National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 991] Re: Looking for expert advice to help literacy student: Carolyn's student

KMcDonal at ccclib.org KMcDonal at ccclib.org
Thu Mar 29 15:50:26 EDT 2007

Hi all --
I have a student who says that tracking left to right gives her a
headache, but tracking right to left is OK. This might be a result of a
closed head injury: I have lots of questions about this student, and have
yet to get her started with a tutor because of other health issues that
she has. The learning problems began long before the possible head injury
a. I hope to try her with a Wilson tutor. I'd like to screen her for
Irlen syndrome but want to make sure she's had a recent eye exam first.
Does anyone else have experience with headache in regard to (only)
one direction of tracking?
Kathie Mcdonald, Tutor Student
Coordinator,
Project Second Chance Adult Literacy
Program, Contra Costa County, CA.

"Josh Hayes" <therealjoshhayes at gmail.com>
Sent by: learningdisabilities-bounces at nifl.gov
03/29/2007 08:42 AM
Please respond to
The Learning Disabilities Discussion List <learningdisabilities at nifl.gov>

learningdisabilities at nifl.gov
cc

Subject
[LearningDisabilities 987] Re: Looking for expert advice to help literacy
student

Carolyn,

I was very intrigued by your student's strategy. If this approach worked,
I would say run with it. But it seems that the right/left decoding method
is causing her substantial difficulties. Using a phonics system for
instruction is going to require that she not approach the word from right
to left. I don't want to diminish her perspective on her reading
approach, however her inability to discriminate vowel sounds and the
pattern reversals on some letters suggest sound symbol correlation
difficulty more than visual processing challenges. There is no reason why
a d should be more commonly confused with b or P. They're all circles
with lines attached. She seems to have difficulty with directionality on
both planes, and she might benefit from multi-sensory practice in
determining the connection to letter name and shape orientation. These
are all things that can be taught. I would start with phonological
awareness and segmentation exercises. What she may be looking for, and I
say may, is common pattern clues using consonant endings with the vowels.
Again, if this was efficient, there would be nothing wrong, but you need
to experiment with other methods. Wilson is probably a very good match,
but she needs to replace strategies and hone her ability to discriminate
sounds.
I would also recommend that, if possible, she ensure that she has no
sensory problems, such as poor hearing or vision. If she sees the page
clearly head on but blurry in the mirror, that would be the first things
I'd want to check out.

Good luck,

Josh

Joshua Hayes