National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1078] Re: Standardized Tests

Bruce C bcarmel at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:40:36 EST 2007

Re TABE and CASAS:

Yes it is true that some standardized tests pay lip service to "real life contexts." In NY we use the TABE, so that is the test with which I am most familiar. There is a big, big difference between looking at the basic line drawings that represent real-life materials and looking at real paychecks, newspapers, bus schedules, etc.

When highly literate people look at the line drawing that is supposed to be an excerpt from a book's index, we know that this is a representation of a column on a page at the back of a book. People with limited literacy may not be able to do this. They may see a box with some words in it. They may not know what it is. Therefore, cannot answer the questions--not because they cannot read but because they got tripped up by the complicated task that the test-writers forgot about. If the students would have been asked the same questions about a real index in a real book, some would do better.

Yes, it tests literacy skills to ask someone to take a standardized test. It tests their ability to take a specific standardized test. This says something about their abililty to read. It does not tell us how well they can perform the real-life literacy tasks that matter most to students.

Bruce Carmel

Dan Wann <dlwann at comcast.net> wrote:
>From what I understand the use of grade level equivalency scores are given
because of the need to report by that standard. I have read TABE materials
that states that GE is too broad of a term to mean much and that the scale
score is much more meaningful in understanding student performance. I know
that CASAS scale scores are much more meaningful than the GE but the GE is
made available when funding sources require grade level equivalency
reporting.

Both CASAS and BEST do test students' reading ability in life and work
contexts and I would disagree with some of what Bruce has written below.
Further, as a test of basic reading skills these tests are constructed so
that extensive and selective background knowledge is not necessary. The
test items on both of these tests seem to test reading within a context that
is known by a majority of people who function in society at various levels
and are not designed to test at a post-secondary level. If you examine the
CASAS and BEST tests you see questions based on paycheck stubs, bus
schedules, work memos, employee handbooks, medicine labels and narratives.

In my opinion standard testing is a necessary but not sufficient tool to use
for assessing student skill level or proficiency. While I do not use TABE
because of the orientation of the test to an academic setting, I would not
say it is a bad test. The question is does the test do what it says it will
do. I think that CASAS and BEST do what is mentioned below by testing adult
students' ability to read a variety of documents in a variety of settings.
The scaled scores given and the indicators of levels are not grade level
dependent and can be explained just as an SAT or CAT score can be explained
independent of Grade Level. Educators must choose a test that correlates to
the curriculum and instruction if the test is to be of value, but I would
not say that a test is bad because it tests one thing and I teach another.

Dan Wann
Professional Development Consultant
Adult ESL and Development Education Teacher