National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1039] Re: GED Discussion - what you need to know!

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 11:03:05 EDT 2007

McCandliss is the researcher. He talked in one part of a speech at the
Learning and the Brain Conference. All sessions are recorded, so I
bought some copies on CD's.

McCandliss used as his example whole word learning and phonetic
learning--what the teacher focuses on the student will follow.

It's also the white matter, myelinated parts of axons (10,000/neuron)
that send the electric/chemical signals to the next neuron. "Speed of
processing" accounts for a lot of "intelligence." "The race to he
swift," etc.

Andrea