National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1031] Re: GED Discussion - what you need to know!

Jackie Coelho jackie.coelho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:19:12 EDT 2007

Shirley, I agree that an enjoyment of reading is the first step. I
have been reading small novels with my Pre-GED level students for
three years now. And when we finish one book, they are always quick to
ask what the next will be. They really enjoy spending time discussing
the characters, the issues and relating all to themselves. Last week
we read a text that explains in detail why leaves change color and
then fall off. The next day a student told me she had never looked at
fall foliage the way she does now.
If a student enjoys reading or sees a real purpose to it, he or she
does it more than willingly.
Jackie