National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 1017] Re: GED preparation and creativity

Katherine G Kgotthardt at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 07:52:28 EDT 2007

I don't think we can distinguish creativity from critical thinking. They
overlap and feed one another. The more you ask students to be creative, the
more critical thinking they practice. After all, how can one begin to do
something like write a poem or story, create a picture, sing a song, make
meaning of what they see and hear without critical thinking? Likewise,
unless we express our critical thinking, what good is it? Rote memorization
yields neither critical thinking nor creativity.

Creativity, to me, means expressing our thoughts in meaningful ways,
expressing our ideas in ways that others might not expect but that a variety
of people with different learning styles and perspectives can appreciate,
melding those ideas so they come out in a form we design. But this kind of
thinking takes time and a willingness to consider ideas. Rigid, controlling
individuals rarely appreciate creativity. Anyone care to help me qualify
that statement? : )

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt