National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 999] NEW: News and Notes from the National Institute for Literacy

Maralit, Mary Jo MMaralit at NIFL.gov
Wed Oct 24 16:54:09 EDT 2007

October 24, 2007

Welcome News and Notes from the National Institute for Literacy:

The National Institute for Literacy this week welcomed its Advisory Board.
Our 10-member, presidentially appointed Board met in Washington, DC on
Tuesday, October 23 and on Wednesday, October 24. The U.S. Department of
Education's Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) hosted day one
of the two-day meeting. And on Wednesday, the meeting was convened at the
Institute's headquarters.

On Tuesday, October 23, I shared with the Board highlights and
accomplishments of the Institute's 2006-2007 fiscal year in my Director's
Report. I am pleased to share a copy with you as an attachment to this
email. The report is also available at:
http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/publications/directors_report07.pdf.

WHAT'S NEW AT THE INSTITUTE

* Now Available-Adolescent Literacy Report: On October 23, the
Institute issued "What Content-Area Teachers Should Know About Adolescent
Literacy," a 61-page report developed by an Interagency working group
comprised of the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Vocational and
Adult Education, the National Institute of Child Health and Human
Development, and the National Institute for Literacy. The report is designed
to support the needs of middle and high school classroom teachers,
administrators and parents in search of basic information about how to build
the reading and writing skills of adolescents. To download the report:
http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/publications/adolescent_literacy07.pdf.

* Take part in a Survey on PD: The Institute's Regional Resource
Center grantees are conducting an online survey on the professional
development needs of adult education practitioners across the country. The
Professional Development Needs Assessment survey was released in August 2007
and will conclude on November 9. Survey results will help inform the
Institute and its Literacy Information and Communications System (LINCS)
Regional Resource Centers about the dissemination of materials and training
products it produces; and help identify new professional development
resources needed in the field. To access the survey:
http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/news_events/PDsurvey07.html

* National Ad Placement: Look for the Institute's "Literacy Begins at
Home" full-page color advertisement in the November issue of Essence, the
premier lifestyle magazine for African-American women. Through its new
partnership with Essence and the ESSENCE CARES national mentoring
initiative, the Institute is creating literacy awareness and providing
expert resources to parents and the magazine's 1.5 million subscribers. This
national ad placement, a first for the Institute, carries the
slogan-"Literacy Begins at Home: Give Your Children the Gift of a
Lifetime.... Teach them to Read." The Institute's insert for parents,
released in time for the start of the school year, was also distributed in
Essence. The insert, a handy checklist for parents of toddlers through third
graders, provided information about literacy, reading, and the Institute to
1.5 million subscribers, households, and readers! To download a copy of the
insert: http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/news_events/essence_insert.html.