National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 945] Re: GED Discussion - what you need to know!

Jackie Coelho jackie.coelho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:13:48 EDT 2007

I must respond to this question. I do not believe that creativity is a
distraction. Creativity is the flesh on the bones of skills and
knowledge. Although our students want to pass the GED, we have to ask
ourselves what our job as educators is. If we simply believe that
pushing our students to the level of the GED is all we have to do,
then perhaps we can pass on the creative side of things. However, if
our goal is create life long learners, who will pass the GED on then
continue learning and contributing in more and more positive ways,
then I think the answer is clear. Creativity is a must. It is what
will hook a person into learning.

However, there is another issue. Not only do the students pressure GED
teachers into teaching to the test. The pressure is on from above
also. Students who pass the GED are counted and those numbers help the
DOE decide if a program is doing its job.

I am not against accountability. But I do think that without
considering all the long-term effects of the current method of
"counting" students is revised, then some creativity will be squashed
as teachers work to satisfy a numbers requirement.