National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 918] Re: Passing the Torch

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Sep 7 17:15:35 EDT 2007

Hi Forrest and Jodi - thank you so much for these resources. I am aware
of Passing the Torch, but I have not had the pleasure of reading it
through. I've read the executive summary, which is quite a thorough
overview. Guess I'll read the whole report now!

I know that the paper is focused on Community College - would you say
that the information would be applicable in other venues, for example,
CBOs, volunteer organizations, and the like?

Also, the overview provides an incredibly rich array of approaches,
supports, techniques - indeed: innovative strategies for addressing this
complex issue (see: #6. Improving Learning Gains in the executive
summary). Do any of the strategies involve the student in assessment,
or do any strategies include student self-assessment? (The section on
Learning Outside the Classroom prompts me to ask these questions.)

Finally, you note that computer-adaptive tests with voice recognition
software would enhance the paucity of assessments that appropriately
gauge the range of ESOL students' skills. I'm intrigued: would this
mostly be focused on the oral skills of the student then? Do you feel
there are adequate assessments for writing and reading skills? Can you
talk a bit more about this?

Thank you so much!

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator